Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sweet Granola

♥ Beginner
With all of the people right now who are on "diets" (I am not, obviously) I thought it might be nice to dedicate a treat to them as well.  Now I know that granola, especially this granola, isn't 100% diet material. This one has honey AND brown sugar so it's not for the serious dieter. However, it's still healthier than the usual cupcake or cake ball so I consider it a win.

I recently purchased some granola from a local supplier (my Green B.E.A.N. Delivery) and was pleased with the quality, but felt like I could make it even better. I'm a snob for a chunky granola, and even if you like a thin granola this is still perfect for you. If you would like to try a sample of it just post a comment below and I'll get some off to you.  Although, I will always suggest that you try making it yourself because I know you won't be disappointed.

What you'll need:

  • 2 C. Rolled Oats (2 Minute will be smaller oats, I prefer the original steel cut) 
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 1/4 C. Honey
  • 1/4 C. Firmly Packed Light Brown Sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1/3 C. Slivered Almonds
  • 1/3 C. Pecan Pieces
  • 1/3 C. Raisins
How it's done: 

1. Preheat your oven to 325*F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or if your cookie sheet is non-stick you can skip that step). 

2. Toss your oats with the cinnamon and salt in large bowl. 

3. Combine the oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in medium size bowl. Whisk until completely combined. 

4. Pour oil mixture over the oats in the large bowl, and mix until combined.  Take some of the oats in your hands and make a fist to combine them.  Do this until all of the oats are covered. 

5. Lay the granola on the cookie sheet, and spread them out as much as you would like.  If you would like a fine granola, make sure you get rid of all of the chunks.  If you're like me, and you like a chunky granola, use a smaller cookie sheet so that it ends up being one large chunk of granola that you break apart in the size that you prefer! 
6. Bake for 10 minutes. 

7. Remove it from the oven and turn over the granola with a spatula.  Add the almonds to the top and return it to the oven for another 5 minutes. 
8. Remove it from the oven, and turn over again with your spatula.  Top with the pecans, and return to the oven for another 10 minutes. 

9. Remove it from the oven again, and allow to cool completely. 

10. Once it's cooled completely, pour it back in a bowl and mix in the raisins.  (You could also add, dried cherries, dried cranberries, etc.) 

11.  I May have added white chocolate chips to mine... I'm a SUGAR ADDICT, OKAY?!?!?!! And it was pretty good, so hah! <~~ If you're a sugar hater or "dieter" then skip step 11. 

12. ENJOY!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment