Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Carrot & Cream Cheese "MuffCakes"


♥ Beginner

Originally, these were called inside-out cupcakes because the frosting is on the inside... however, these are more like muffins (because they are great for breakfast!) with a cream cheese filling. Now we call them "MuffCakes".

These were a great hit at the ward linger-longer, and although I anticipated bringing some home because they aren't very pretty, they were all gone before we snuck out. If you're a carrott cake lover, or cream cheese lover (like myself) then you'll love these sweet little muffcakes as much as we do.

I originally made these from scratch, making my own carrot cake, and they turned out pretty good. But the next time, I made them from a Duncan Hines Decadent box mix and not only were they easier, but they were much more flavorful. At roughly $3.00 a box, it was worth it for the ease. If you want the recipe from scratch, let me know and I'll post it. Otherwise, here's my recipe using the box mix (because let's be honest, you're going to take the easy route too.)

*Btw, I stole these from King Arthur Flour (but mine are better, cough) 


What you'll need: 

  • 1 Box Duncan Hines Decadent Carrot Cake Mix (New!
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 8 oz. Package of Cream Cheese (or Neufchatel Cheese)
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Lemon Juice

How it's done: 


1. Preheat your oven to 400*F, and grease or paper your muffin tins. (If you grease, your muffins will rise more and be fuller looking.)

2. Mix up your cake mix with the eggs and oil. Set aside.

3. Combine softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice until well blended. 


4. Pour 2 Tablespoons of carrot cake batter into muffin tins. Top with heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture, and then cover with remaining batter. (You want the muffin tins 3/4 of the way full - or more if you're like me.)

5. Tap your muffin tin lightly on the counter to release any air bubbles.


6. Sprinkle the top with course white sparkling sugar, because who doesn't love a little extra sugar??

7. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Baking times will vary. Once baked, let them rest in the muffin tin for 5 more minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

These little gems are perfect when eaten still warm, although they are just as good when they've had some time to cool too! 

2 comments:

  1. Wait...What?? These were at the Linger Longer?! I completely missed them! I was at the end of the line though...so maybe they were already gone by the time I got to them...Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, they were there! I was at the end of the line too, but I still got one. They were gone by the "seconds". They didn't look the same as in the pictures here though, because they were the box mix and they didn't explode through the top and just looked like muffins. Ahahaha, open them for a surprise! :) If we do more linger longers, I might bring them again.

    ReplyDelete