Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chinese Chicken Salad

Beginner
I'm one of those people who always orders the exact same thing off of the menu, every time we frequent the same restaurant. It may be a surprise to you, but I don't like change, especially with my food. I always get the Black & Bleu Salad at O'Charleys, the California Club at Ruby Tuesday's, The Button Sandwich at Best Bet, and the Chinese Chicken Salad at P.F. Changs... well, I used to, until recently when they took it off the menu. :(  I should say they took it off the menu a year and a half ago, but it's still bothering me deep in my soul. We don't even eat there anymore because that would mean I would have to find a new menu item! Gasp!

I once found a similar salad (with the same name) across the street at The Cheesecake Factory, but it still isn't the same. SO, with that said, I've come up with my own (or stolen parts of others and pieced them together).  If you're a connoisseur of Chinese Chicken Salad, like me, hopefully this will meet your needs. I know it did mine! 



What you'll need:
  • 1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce (or lettuce of choice) 
  • 2 Chicken Breasts
  • 1 Bottle of Teriyaki Sauce
  • Crispy Fried Wonton Strips (or those chinese noodle things you buy in a can) 
  • 2 Tablespoons of crushed peanuts
  • 1 Can of Mandarin Oranges (or the fresh mandarin oranges if they are in season) 
  • Chinese Plum Salad Dressing (Click for recipe) 
How it's done: 

1. Prepare your head of lettuce by washing and chopping into bite size pieces. 

2. Broil the chicken breasts, and in the last few minutes brush on the teriyaki sauce. Once it's completely cooked, chop it into small bite size cubes. Place a one cup of chicken on top of the bed of lettuce. 

3. Top with mandarin oranges, crushed peanuts, and wonton strips. Dress with plum dressing, and enjoy! 

***This is one of my favorite salads yet, it's pretty easy to make and can be prepared and left unassembled in the fridge for a few days. It makes for some great lunches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment