Monday, March 21, 2011

Rich Cream Cheese Frosting

♥ Beginner

Cream Cheese Frosting is one of the two frostings that I like to use all of the time.  It's either cream cheese or buttercream, and the cupcake pretty much determines which one I use.  The only bad thing about the cream cheese frosting is that it needs to be refrigerated after you make it.  So I like to keep it in tupperware if I make it the day before I serve them, and then just decorate right before they are served. It lasts about 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator.

The best thing about cream cheese frosting is that you determine how creamy it is.  I LOVE the taste of cream cheese, so I often keep the powdered sugar on the minimum (basically just for consistency) so you can still really taste the cream cheese.  My husand is a huge fan, just last week I caught him going back for a THIRD cupcake.  I'm sure many of you would feel the same!

I'll keep this recipe pretty basic, but you can always substitute for a flavored extract or real fruit juice. Even a great slice of strawberry added to the top is a great addition. ** My suggestion is to try this on a great red velvet cupcake - it's so great it will make you crazy!

What you need:

  • 1 (8 oz) reduced fat cream cheese, at room temp.
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp.
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
How it's done:

1. Cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth.

2. Add the extract, blend on medium speed until it's mixed in.

3. Slowly add the powdered sugar one cup at a time on medium speed, blending completely before adding the next cup. Add to taste.

4. Add color if desired!

See, isn't that easy???

No comments:

Post a Comment